Student Health Plan FAQ


     Open Enrollment and Waiver FAQ


When does my coverage begin?

Coverage begins August 1st, 2017 and extends for the remainder of the school year (ending July 31, 2018).  For spring enrollments, coverage begins January 1, 2018 and extends to July 31, 2018.

Do I have to enroll?

The university requires that all full-time undergraduate students have health insurance. The student health plan offers Gold-level benefits at significant discounts and is a great way to fulfill this requirement.

If you have other comparable coverage, you may waive the student health plan. But, we recommend that you compare costs, as the student health plan is offered at a significant discount compared to most other plans available. You must either enroll or present proof of other coverage by August 21, 2017 for fall semester and January 12, 2018 for spring semester.  


What happens if I forget to enroll or waive by January 12, 2018?
You will be enrolled automatically in the student health plan. However, we encourage you to confirm your enrollment online before your effective date so that you receive an ID card and plan materials when coverage starts. 


I have other coverage. Is it considered a “valid waiver”?

Students may petition to waive the student health insurance plan if the following criteria are met:


  • The policy is compliant with all minimum coverage requirements per U.S. healthcare reform law, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). Please contact your medical insurance carrier to confirm this.
  • The plan provides both emergency and non-emergency health care and mental health benefits in the Stanly County, NC area.
  • The plan provides inpatient and outpatient mental health care (with at least 30 visits per year) and chemical dependency benefits are comparable to the coverage provided by the student medical insurance plan.
  • The plan provides coverage for prescription medication.
  • The lifetime benefit is unlimited.
  • Out-of-state Medicaid and state Children’s Health Insurance Plans, HMOs,  Traveler’s policies, and Kaiser Permanente plans do not cover non-emergency care in Stanly County and DO NOT qualify for a waiver.
  • The claims administrator of the plan is based in the United States and has a U.S. telephone number and address for submission of claims and the insurance policy has not been issued outside the U.S. Traveler's policies do not meet the requirements of a valid waiver and will not be accepted.


Please contact your medical insurance carrier to confirm that your insurance covers non-emergency care in the Stanly County, NC area and that you have a deductible small enough to allow you to afford your portion of the bill.


In addition to waiver approval by the automated system, please note that all waiver requests will be reviewed by a Student Health representative. If the waiver submitted does not meet the waiver criteria, you will be enrolled in the student health plan.


What if I am not an undergraduate student eligible for the student health plan, or want to compare policies available on the open marketplace (a.k.a. “the exchange”) with this policy?

You can check out medical policies on the exchange here.


Can I enroll my family members in the student health plan?

If you have a spouse or children, you may enroll them in the plan after you have enrolled yourself. Once you have your ID card, you can go online and add eligible dependents to the plan. This plan is also provided at a discount to eligible spouses and children.


Is my doctor in-network?

You can check if your doctor is in-network by doing a provider search at UnitedHealthcare. Your student coverage utilizes the UnitedHealthcare Choice Plus Network.

What is covered?

You can find details about the student health plan by reviewing the Benefits Brochure


I currently have other coverage but I want to replace it with the student health policy. How do I do that?

You simply need to send your current carrier a cancelation request or give them a call telling them the date your new coverage is effective. Carriers’ policies vary on how much notice is required. If you have difficulty with this, our insurance broker may be able to assist. Please email 


When will I get my ID cards?

For Fall semester, if you confirm your enrollment online before August 1, ID cards should arrive in the first week of August. If you neither enroll nor waive online, you will be enrolled by default and receive your ID card in early September.

For Spring semester, if you confirm your enrollment online before January 1, ID cards should arrive in the first week of January.  If you neither enroll nor waive online, you will be enrolled by default and receive your ID card in early February. 

What if I have insurance that will end later in the school year, or I have a Qualifying Event (like getting married, having a baby, or turning 26)?

You can enroll in the student health plan later in the school year by submitting an eligibility form


Are there any other insurance benefits I can take advantage of as a student?

Yes – you can enroll in discounted dental, vision, life, critical illness & accident, and renters & auto insurance at this site.


More Questions? Contact our insurance broker at


      Joanna Foley | Department of Student Development

      P. O. Box 960 | 48380 US Hwy 52 N | Misenheimer NC | 28109

      Main: 704-463-3400 | Fax: 704-463-1361


Disclaimer: The information on this document and any attachments thereto are strictly confidential and proprietary and may not be reproduced or disseminated in whole or in part unless authorized in writing by an authorized representative of The Benefit Planning Group, a division of Marsh McLennan Agency. Any materials and information included on this document are provided solely as general information and do not constitute legal, tax or financial advice. Any information on this document is not warranted to have been verified by Marsh McLennan Agency and Marsh McLennan Agency therefore cannot and does not verify its accuracy. Any party making decisions or taking actions in reliance of any information contained herein does so at its own risk.

Interested in getting coverage?

Fill out the form below or call 844-854-9144 and an agent will be with you shortly!

If you call 844-854-9144, you will be connected with a licensed agent to provide assistance in finding and enrolling in a plan. Our volume has increased due to Open Enrollment, but we care about getting your questions answered and helping you in a timely manner so we recommend calling if you are able.

Contact us today! We'd love to hear from you.

For Support and to Enroll, You Must Call


Quick and Easy Personalized Enrollment

Ok, Let’s see some quotes.